I have talked to many people who say and read many websites that claim Stanley Park is the largest urban park in North America. This is false, and I will prove it.
Below is a list of urban parks in North America larger than 1000 acres (the size of Stanley Park) that others have sent to me.
- South Mountain Preserve (Phoenix AZ) – 16,283
- Rouge Valley Park (Markham ON) – 11,600
- Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge (New York City NY) 9,155
- Fairmount Park (Philadelphia PA) – 8,900
- Forest Park (Portland OR) – 5,090
- Mission Bay Park (San Diego CA) – 4,235
- Griffith Park (Los Angeles CA) – 4,107
- Nose Hill Park (Calgary AB) – 2,785 acres
- Wascana Centre (Regina SK) – 2,325
- Rockwood Park (Saint John, NB) – 2,200 acres
- Chapultepec Park (Mexico City) – 2,100
- Oldman River parks system (Lethbridge AB) – 1,865
- Rock Creek Park (Washington, DC) 1,754
- City Park (New Orleans LA) – 1,500
- Presidio (San Francisco CA) 1,480
- Canyon Lakes Project (Lubbock TX) – 1,450
- Wilderness Park in (Lincoln NE) – 1,450 acres
- Forest Park (St. Louis MO) – 1,370
- Bays Mountain Park (Kingsport TN) – 1,300
- Lincoln Park (Chicago IL) 1,208
- Great Kills (New York City NY) – 1,200
- Balboa Park (San Diego CA) 1,158
- Van Cortlandt Park (New York City NY) 1,146
- Golden Gate Park (San Francisco CA) 1,013
- Stanley Park (Vancouver BC) – 1,000
As you can see, not only is Stanley Park not the largest park in North America, it isn’t even the largest urban park in Canada. In fact, it isn’t even the largest urban park in western Canada.
BCers can, however, rest assured knowing that Stanley Park may be the largest urban park in British Columbia.
Amazing how people love to spread falsehoods without verifying their accuracy.