We had a bit of a scare today. Actually, Mary had more of a scare than I did.
The two older children were in their bedroom antagonising each other, so Mary went in to cool things down. Our five-year-old son, Regan, was lying on the floor playing with some toys. All of a sudden, he started coughing and a large amount of saliva was coming from his mouth. He was unable to speak, so Mary took him to the hospital.
Once she got to the emergency room, she noticed there was some blood mixed in with the saliva. The attendants quickly assessed the situation and Mary phoned me to tell me they were about to prep him for surgery: he had a marble lodged in his throat.
I take the transit to work, and had just missed the bus. I was packing up my things to get ready to catch the next bus when Mary phoned me just a few minutes later to tell me Regan coughed up the marble.
His throat was a bit raw later, but he’s more or less fully recovered now.
This was the first time any of children have been hospitalised and it does not surprise me at all that it was a boy who got there first. The joys of fatherhood.