Yesterday I was on the elevator heading to the skytrain platform and tried valiantly to not touch anything or even breathe for that matter as it was so filthy in there. As I stood on the platform waiting for my train I was thinking of writing to the newspaper editors asking why there isn’t something done about the sanitation of these train stations. Then I thought if I was in charge what would I do to fix the problem as I knew the city would say they didn’t have enough man power to clean them.
Then I thought of the old days when people went to prison for crimes committed.. they worked on “chain gangs, work crews that worked from dawn till dusk. There was none of this sitting around watching TV all day, playing pool and basketball. Then I thought of how the prisons are filled with repeat offenders so why not start making punishments fit the crimes. Here are some examples:
1. Someone gets caught defacing, littering etc any skytrain station, instead of getting a fine and a slap on the wrist they would be (under police supervision) they would be made to clean the stations and surrounding areas every day for an indefinite period of time
2. If you got caught spraying graffiti you would be fined and then be made to paint buildings for an indifinte period of time
3. If you got caught stealing or vandalizing cars you would be fined and be made to wash cars in car sales lots over and over
4. If you got caught doing a home invasion of a senior you would be fined and your punishment would be to spend time at a senior’s home where there are armed forces vets there and?Ç¬† speak to vets about why they faught for our freedom and after an indifinte amount of time write essays of why these seniors are our real heroes
5. If you got caught littering whether when walking or throwing things out of your car window,?Ç¬† you would be made to clean ditches picking up trash at the sides of roads and highways or in bad areas of town where litter is the new decoration
In some eastern countries if you get caught stealing you get your hand cut off. I bet they never think more then twice to steal something. Last week in the news here, someone had been caught stealing and this was the EIGHTEENTH time that he had been arrested. Are you kidding me??? What part of repeat offender do you not understand? Obviously this person’s punishments don’t fit his crimes. But if he was made to come into stores after closing and stock shelves and clean floors of large box stores like Costco over and over he’d never want to walk in a store again.
What do you think?