Last week, Stephen Harper announced his new cabinet. Here are my thoughts.
1. When Stephen Harper took power in 2006, he reduced the cabinet from the Liberal’s 37 ministers to 26, the smallest in recent years. All this in an effort “to promote accountable, efficient and effective government?¢‚Ç¨‚Äùmore focus and purpose; less process and cost”.
2. His new cabinet is back up to 37. Does this mean there is now less focus and purpose?
3. The new cabinet will cost nearly $4 million more than the previous cabinet?¢‚Ç¨‚Äùa 19% increase from prior to the election and a two-fifths increase since Harper’s first cabinet.
4. The new cabinet has the first ever Inuk minister.
5. Harper added three women ministers. Up from 21% in 2006 to roughly 27% today.